Changkran Roy – Birding and Bird Photographing
Changkran Roy is one of the last remaining evergreen forests near Siem Reap. Protected by the community and local authorities, it is located about 70km northwest of the city. Ecotourism in Changkran Roy is run by people from the local village. They provide camping services, food and local guides.
The reserve supports many avian species, including the Bar-bellied Pitta, Oriental Bay Owl, Blyth’s Frogmouth, Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo, Scaly-breasted Partridge, Silver-breasted Broadbill, Common Green Magpie, Coral-billed Ground Cuckoo, and Himalayan Night-heron, etc.
Changkran Roy bird checklist
This tour is a great escape into the Cambodian countryside. You will be staying overnight in a tent, surrounded by forest areas and close to a waterfall. This is a truly wonderful way to experience the natural world.
- Enjoy bird watching along the forest paths and bird hide (bird feeding station).
- Camp by a waterfall, listening to nature and staring at the often clean night skies
- Learn more about the birds, conservation, and local culture.
What to Expect
- Our expert guide with our driver will pick you up from your hotel lobby at 5.30am, as early as we can so we get the most of the morning time which is best for the birds. We will arrive back in Siem Reap the next day around 4 pm or early or later depends on your interest in the tour. We can either take you back to your hotel or to another destination of your choice in town.
- Other things to bring: hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and insect repellent.
- CBGA will provide drinking water in a big container to refill, so we request you to bring your own water bottle from home or from your hotel. It is our campaign to reduce plastic waste.
- Changkran Roy offers accommodation with a basic tented camp near the waterfall where you can listen to its natural rhymes.